Most experts recommend every homeowner conduct an annual inspection on their roof. If the roof can’t be reached, hiring someone to go up and take photos or video is a great way to view the roof. You may have a trusted roofer do an inspection. A roof replacement can be avoided if caught prior to a significant wind or hail event.
Signs A Roof System has damage and Is In Need Of Repair Or Replacement:
- Visible water stains or discoloration on walls or ceilings inside home
- The roof’s underlayment could be allowing moisture into the home, which can create water stains.
- Attic leaks (especially after rain)
- These leaks are generally caused by porous underlayment; this will need to be replaced.
- Visible light coming through the roof
- This is a sure sign of an opening that needs to be replaced.
- Curled, cracked, or missing shingles
- This is a sign that the shingles are toward the end of their lifespan.
- Dark, dirty, and/or wet shingles
- Possible indication they are allowing moisture to be trapped. These may not be the discolored shingles. Rather, the damage could be higher up with water traveling down to these shingles.
- Dirty and/or blocked gutters
- Keep an eye out for granules. These look like coarse, black sand; they are a good sign of composite or asphalt shingles starting to wear out.